Monday 4 November 2013

Featured Artist of the Month: Julie London - October 2013

Stephanie’s Featured Artist of the Month – Julie London – October 2013

Last month, I featured a hip hop artist; this month, we go back in time to the 1950s – 1960s. Since childhood, I have always enjoyed jazz but only exposed myself to the big names such as Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, etc. That was until last year, I heard the song “Cry Me a River” (not the Justin Timberlake version, even though I love that song, as well). It was sung in such a classy sultry way that I just had to learn more about the artist. That was how I discovered the sexiest singer ever, the beautiful, Julie London.

If I grew up during her generation, I would definitely go lesbian for her. She was hella sexy.
Her voice and her performances are very sensual, but done in a composed and acceptable manner. The smoky tone in which she sings effortlessly expresses the strong, yet extremely feminine woman in her songs.

“Cry Me a River” is her most signature song, and duly so, as it is also my favourite Julie London classic. In a more relatable context, it is similar to JT’s version in terms of what the lyrics is trying to convey: “I’m not taking you back.” This song itself is very relatable to many relationships. You work so hard on a relationship, the other person doesn’t appreciate it, and so, you try your hardest to just move on. But, no. Only when you’re gone do they appreciate your presence.



If you end up liking this song, remember to check out her other songs such as “When I Fall in Love.” If you’re ever in need of a calm song while studying or getting ready to sleep, Julie’s soothing voice is just perfect. It’s also perfect for the chill autumn season. Stay cozy and awesome everyone.


-          Steph =]

No comments:

Post a Comment