Thursday 26 September 2013

Steph's Thoughts: Boys and the Friend Zone

I’m a major fan of British Youtubers. One of them is Sprinkle of Glitter, Louise, who also writes pretty awesome blogs. Her most recent one is on boys. An area in which, at the age of 22, I am still very lost.

Despite having a few close guy friends and often being considered as “one of the guys,” I honestly don’t get them still when it comes to relationships. Some of them are the most amazing friends ever, but they’re not so great to their girlfriends. Ginger and I believe that all guys are (excuse the language in this blog) douchebags. It’s just a matter of what level of douchebagginess they are. Now, don’t worry guys. We also believe it is the same with girls and bitchiness. And...we can be just as confusing when it comes to relationships.

Now then, back to the content of Louise’s blog. One of the questions her followers asked really struck out with me: I like one of my close guy friends, who I think used to like me a while ago but I'm not sure if he still does. What should I do? Personally, I know from experience that falling for a friend is a really scary thing. You want more than the current friendship, yet you’re afraid of the risks especially since things are already going…relatively well.

Louise responded to the initial question by saying: If you're brave- tell him how you feel. If you're not- hint. A LOT. I love a bit of risk so I'd just out and out say it. It could turn out REALLY well! 

I’m definitely a part of the not-brave crew. I’m basically such a wuss that I don’t even hint. I am extremely pro-“friendship to love” because I think it works for me. But like I said, it can get scary when you’re in the friend zone ESPECIALLY when competition and jealousy come into play. In my case, I tense up (not good), I freeze (really not good), and I become emo (definitely not what Louise would condone). Basically, I allow myself to stay in the friendzone. I got lucky once by getting out of it, but I had also been stuck for a really long time with my first crush but that one doesn’t really count since I think I wasn’t ready to date yet with that guy. I was just a kid!

Even now, I do the same thing. But I think I’ll just go with the flow which surprisingly worked that one time. Anyways, I guess what I’m getting at is: do what feels right to you. Don’t force anything, but don’t be pushed around either. If it’s meant to work out it will, just have hope and faith in yourself…and hope that boy you like is smart enough to like you back and ask you out!

Wishing you all the best,
Steph


No comments:

Post a Comment