Monday 30 September 2013

Steph's Thoughts: Friendship

As I get older, I realize who my true friends are and the more I appreciate having them in my life. Ginger, obviously, being one of them. (I will write a separate post on why Ginger is such an awesome friend). However, after an incident that happened last year, I am less open to friendships and relationships. It’s just harder for me to trust people.

A friend is easy to make. Just have a few things in common, be nice to one another, and you’re set. Friendship accepted. However, a true friend is like finding someone to love, it’s much harder. In my opinion, a true and good friend is one who ultimately wants you to be happy and helps you to become a better person, much like how your significant other should, too. They lend you their ear when you’re heartbroken or just when you need to rant, Ginger’s specialty. They’re the ones who know when and how to give you criticism when necessary. They’re just awesome.

I’m still relatively young and have a lot to learn about life. So, let’s just say I’m not an expert when it comes to friendship and many other things. I was deeply betrayed once by someone whom I considered a close friend for almost 10 years. Despite warnings from friends for many years, I ignored them all and let this “friendship” drain the life out of me until in just the span of a minute, it all dawned on me and it was over. It’s a pain that has subsided over the past year, however, it does not erase many years of memories and the memory of that betrayal.

I often think about that friend and wish that our friendship really was as genuine I had thought it was all those years. I wonder what we’d be like if the incident had not happened. Alas, the incident did happen, an apology was never told, and I was deeply hurt. Only thing to do is just be grateful of the true friends who remain true and supportive.

So, here’s a shout out to SMAACCS + MS who are the best friends I could ever ask for. Honestly, I never knew how lucky I am until recently. You are all so awesome in all your quirky ways. You’ve been the rock in my life, my hugs, my inner peace, my everything-good-in-my-life. Thank you.



2 comments:

  1. Stick to your roots. Leaves fade away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friendship is like a goddamn tree!!!
    Lol so deep I sound so poetic Yeh babe

    ReplyDelete